How to Root Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
With its great performance and design, sometimes the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc seems to be limited by the Android OS, but no more as in the following minutes you will know how to root the Xperia Arc and you will gain full control over your phone.
First of all, you need to know that rooting the Sony Ericsson Arc will void your warranty, but that’s not much of a risk because you can unroot it by restoring the original firmware of the device. Furthermore, you need to know that this rooting procedure only works for 2.3.4 firmware so don’t try it on a 2.3.5 or higher.
Now that we got over the pleasantries, lets get your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc rooted. You should start by unlocking the device’s bootloader. We will come with a guide on how to unlock the bootloader of the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, but it should be very similar to the Sony Ericsson Xperia S.
Be sure to backup your data (Contacts, SMS, Media Files etc.) before you start the rooting process because they won’t be there after you’re done rooting the Xperia Arc. Another important thing you must do is fully charge your phone and I say “fully” because you’d better be safe than sorry.
So, we’ve covered all the necessary precautions and now we can start rooting your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc by following these simple steps:
- Start by checking your phone’s build number (Settings > About Phone > Model Number and Build Number) which should be [4.0.1.A.0.283] Global firmware.
- Download the Pre Rooted System Image of Android 2.3.4 [4.0.1.A.0.283] andfastboot_with_Android_USB_file.rar to your PC.
- Now turn off your device and extract the fastboot rar file in your computer; after the extraction you will have two folders: “fastboot” and “usb driver”, cut and paste the .ftf file downloaded in the previous step.
- While holding the Menu Key, connect the handset to your computer via the original usb cable and wait until the LED Light from the USB cable turns blue.
- Open the fastboot folder, hold Shift and right click inside the folder, now select “Open command window here”.
- Type fastboot flash system LT15i_4.0.1.A.0.283_Generic_Global_system.img inside the command prompt, press Enter and wait until the “Finished” message is shown inside the prompt.
- Disconnect the device from your computer, turn it ON and launch the Superuserapplication.
Now that you’ve finished rooting your Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc, you should restore the backed up data and have fun, experiment other (safe) stuff you wanted to do with your phone, like overclocking or installing apps that didn’t work before.
If you encounter any problems, feel free to address them in the comment section below. We will try to help you as much as we can.